Let's keep this from being boring and divide this post, once again, into sections.
State Map of Georgia
I will start locally. Luckily Atlanta really has a burgeoning startup scene, which I'm hoping will need lots and lots of writing.
Most of the names listed are potential partners who could benefit from writing, yet others such as the SBA (Small Business Administration ) or social media are random. I still have to figure out what these represent to me, but I feel that it's important that I list them.
I plan to work with publications, businesses, and organizations in the state and throughout the country. It would also be great if I could make this global and cross the large pond that we call The Atlantic.
Developing a Plan
Now that I've listed a bunch of places that I feel can benefit from my writing, I will have to develop a plan to contact them. I've already been through this for the first six months of Turns of Phrase, so this shouldn't be too difficult. It's a pretty methodical process that I will be working on tonight and the rest of the week.
I do already know where to start, however.
Before I draft my action plan, I already know what I need to start with:
1. Updating turnsofphrase.com: Basically, as my first post of this series explained, startups, like fractals, iterate (build on past data to get closer to the desired result). Six months ago, this website was great. It was great simply because I had a website when I originally did not. Now considering it's had a chance to interact with the great big world out there, I've worked with people and companies, and Turns of Phrase has really grown in just six months. The site is obsolete now--it doesn't fit Turns of Phrase anymore. So I'll be updating everything form this About Page to my Portfolio.
2. Social Media: I don't have a social media presence really. I haven't focused on tweeting. I've focused mainly on finding people to work with. So I've got to update my LinkedIn page, use Twitter and figure out who to follow. I have to figure out if I want to start a Facebook for Business page and if Google Plus is worth using. Do I want or even need Instagram? All of this I need to figure out.
3. FREE STUFF: What's better than something that costs Free.99? For types of writing that I haven't done yet, I am considering a page called FREE. In exchange for having a sample piece for writing I've never done, I am considering doing the work for free. This way I can use the sample in my Portfolio and set a fee. Such an idea might solicit ire from some, but I am leaning towards this idea. We'll see.
4. Testimonials Page: For everyone I'm already working with, I should probably get a list of quotes about how they feel about my work. One person has already agreed to provide a testimonial.
5. Gratitude List: This is really a slow process, and like I've mentioned before, I don't know if I will succeed. You're not supposed to say this, you know. You're supposed to have the confidence of 300 Spartan soldiers, but sometimes I wonder if I am going in the right direction. So to move forward and stay positive, I want to commit to writing out a list of everything I'm thankful for with Turns of Phrase and my life. It will help me to deal with all of the rejection. I really hate rejection.
6. Read: I have to end on a good note. There are a few people I admire to state how reading helped them to imagine a world larger than their present circumstances. It makes sense too to surround yourself with good company, and sometimes books are a great way to choose the company you keep, especially if you feel you are surrounded by blight. I will need to take notes on the books I've read so far and continue to learn about people I admire.